Tertius and I had work meetings on Kri this weekend, and stayed overnight – something we haven’t done since moving off the island: our Papua Diving family blessed us with a beautiful resort room to stay in:
We got home to a house full of walking puppies – so much trouble.
Here’s an awesome burger recipe I stumbled upon and modified to fit our jungle living:
Lentil, Brown Rice & Carrot Fajita Burgers (vegan)
SERVES 3 patties
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 2 shallots (bawang merah), minced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 packet [leftover] Fajita mix
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Combine the lentils, brown rice, onion, carrot, garlic, and fajita mix in a saucepan. Add the water, cover and bring to a boil then reduce the heat and boil gently until the rice and lentils are tender and all the liquid is absorbed, about 40 minutes.
- Drain, and mix in a blender until you have a fairly smooth texture. Form into burger patties.
- Grill the burgers until crisp, about 5 minutes per side. Serve in a fresh bun with your favourite toppings (sawi hijau and tomatoes!) with a side of oven-baked fries.
- My carnivorous husband approved. Booya!